Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Spy - Shakira featuring Wyclef Jean

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44yYrQGRtu8

Item: Shakira is bat shit crazy. Like nucking futs. And on her most recent album she seems to have gone even further into her own private fantasy where world music from Colombia mixes easily with klezmer clarinet (a la Led Zeppelin) and dirty electro dance beats (a la Crystal Castles). Add to that the fact that Shakira has always had a voice she can manipulate so in the same song she can sound like a hall of horror movie children, the sexiest temptress you ever said no to, and leather.

Item: This track is Shakira and Wyclef's third collabo and while "Hips Don't Lie" may be ubiquitious I offer this track as more engaging and smoldering with a kind of white hot sexual heat. The beat makes me wanna dance, the digitized child voice cawing in the background makes me want to play it again, the thinly veiled innuendos linking spies and sex (it's a stretch, I know) make me want to grind.

Now, I know that Shakira is a bit overexposed but for some reason her "She Wolf" album seems to not be getting the love it deserves and that's a shame. I offer this track as one of my faves off the album and one that is guaranteed to never be a single even though it's kind of like lightening in three minutes and twenty eight seconds. "Spy" shows Shakira at her wackiest with that creepy nonsense cooing, her hard-edged come-ons and a driving beat making me want to dance. Dirty.

No comments:

Post a Comment