Thursday, January 21, 2010

Change - Daniel Merriweather featuring Wale

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvz2PLiHyo4

Daniel Merriweather's a big hit in the UK and I can't wait for his album Love and War to finally drop in the US. The adorable blue-eyed soul singer hails from Australia but in this track, helmed by Mark Ronson (best known for making Amy Winehouse sound like the 1960s) Merriweather makes like old school soul and I'm in love. The driving piano draws you in from the first seconds and than Merriweather starts in with the nonsense refrain before shifting to lyrics that are a variation on the apathetic our-generation-needs-to-wake-up refrain that's timeworn but hasn't been this pleading for a long time. "Tell me do you still believe, everything that you read?" Merriweather asks and I can safely say I believe everything that he sings. Add in Wale, the DC rapper perhaps best none for his shrill collabo with Lady Gaga, and you've got a perfect marriage of traditional R&B and old school smooth flowing rap (although Wale does seem to diss my boy Daniel when he refers to him as the "background singer" - I mean, I know you're Wale, but this is Danny's show). "Change" is the perfect jam for car rides and slow mo dancing at the end of the night with a beer in hand and sleep in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment