Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Nota Bene on Eminem and Sex

I wrote a post on ye olde Independence Day about Eminem's use of sexual metaphors on his most recent album Recovery. I definitely think it's an interesting move on Em's part to use anal sex as the central way of illustrating his dominance and fear of being "taken," but what I left out was dangerous - I left out the fact that rape is never about sex but it's rather a more disturbing form of exercising power with sex as merely the vessel for violence and trauma. Sometimes theory overcomes real life and I fear I may have fallen too far down the theoretical rabbit hole (or perhaps I was too deep in Em's psyche - and while I'm on the subject someone recently pointed out to me that "he's in your ass, he's all up in your psyche too" may simply be a statement about how hung the rapper is - that doesn't not sound like a fun ride at all).

No comments:

Post a Comment